Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Diary Entry #0004: A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU BOOK REVIEW

Synopsis:
Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.
Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.
A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure.

Review:
"A thousand lives. A thousand possibilities. One fate."

A Thousand Pieces of You is the first official book that I'll give a review about. I'm so happy about this especially because I had high expectations for this book

Okay, so first off, let me tell you that this is the first Claudia Gray book that I've read so, I'm not familiar with her writing style or the voice of her characters. But it turns out that it's not hard to read. I am now considering reading her other books.

I didn't know that I might like a parallel universe type of story because I think it's hard to create characters whose personalities differ with each world they live in, but A Thousand Pieces of You proved me wrong. Marguerite Caine is a character with depth that's not obvious at first. I thought she was just a sarcastic teenager hell-bent on avenging her father's murder. But as the book progressed, I saw more of Marguerite. She's compassionate, she loves deeply, she's a risk taker, she values friendship and most of all, her family. The same things can be said about the two guys—Theo Beck and Paul Markov. 

I loved Theo's character because he's the sarcastic, flirty guy who, even with his I-don't-care attitude, has a soft spot for the people he really loves. Meanwhile, Paul is the silent, enigmatic guy. He's completely different from Theo. And though, as can be read from my first ever post, I usually dig the more snarky type of guy, I liked Paul a whole bunch.

"But we're not completely different, either. The one way we were most alike was—was how we felt about you."

Marguerite, Theo and Paul all used the 'Firebird' device which enables a person's consciousness to leap through an alternate universe where he/she exists. What really grabbed me is the notion that despite being another version of themselves in an alternate universe, they're still 'them' somehow. But, let me tell you that for a moment there, because of this condition, I didn't want to be in Marguerite's place. 

"I don't know where he stops and you begin."

Another attention-grabber for me, and one of the points I really adored in this book are the dimensions they went to! I loved each universe because it's totally different from each other. They also played a vital role in character development because I got to see a different version of a character, their reactions, their feelings and how they handled each world with the knowledge that that could be the world they live in, in reality. 

I love how the scenes are perfectly interwoven to form a coherent conclusion or another revelation. Each scene is an important piece in the puzzle of Marguerite's Dad's murder. The changes are subtle, and I didn't even predicted when the biggest bomb will drop. I was kind of relaxing already, thinking the worst has come to pass. I thought the real culprit of everything-bad-that-happened was already revealed but, boy was I wrong. At this point of the book, I was already at the edge of my seat (read: my bed) because the whole truth was delivered one. After. Another. There was just no way, no way at all, that I can remain calm and collected. It was brilliant.


Now let's talk about that cover. THAT COVER! It is so bloody brilliant, mate. It embodies everything that you can expect from this book. That was the perfect image for parallel universe. But let me tell you again, it's brilliant. Not just because it's so beautiful (as in, that is the most gorgeous book cover I've ever seen), or that it's symbolic, but also because what you see is what you get. Yep, that's right. When I got to a certain part of the book, about halfway through, that's when I realized that the cover is so on-point with the story. 

All in all, as a Claudia Gray and parallel universe virgin, I found this book worthy of praise. With the perfect blend of wit, action, mystery, and romance, this story is a sure hit for fans of a modern society that's not quite dystopian but not so today either.

5/5 STARS IN ALL UNIVERSE

Keep living life and loving books!
Love,





P.S.
This is an excerpt from the book that I found a perfect GIF image companion. LOL


"The day after my father died, the hour after we learned Paul was responsible, I went to my room, took one of my canvas knives, and slashed his portraits into ribbons."

No comments:

Post a Comment