Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Diary Entry #0003



Hey Diary! So...It's been two weeks since Taylor Swift released her latest album, 1989. since I'm a huge fan, a.k.a. Swiftie I bought her album and I'm gonna tell you my thoughts for each song and how much I love the album as a whole.

Track 1: Welcome To New York

"The lights are so bright but they never blind me..."

This song is a great opening for the album. Taylor moved to New York and she told her story about it, and since 1989 is a symbol of 'rebirth' for her, I guess opening the album with a song about a new place is a perfect way to present it.

Track 2: Blank Space
"You look like my next mistake..."

I love many tracks in this album but Blank Space is my absolute favorite. I think this is about Taylor mocking everyone (read: vultures) who makes her look like she's a crazy, obsessive, serial dater. 

Track 3: Style
"When we go crashing down, we come back every time..."

This is such a fun, lip-sync-in-the-shower kind of song. the title suggests very well to whom it might be about. But!!! It's not a diss to Harry Styles. It's more like a reminisce-our-love kind of song. I'd even go as far as to say that it has kind of a 'longing' feel to it. Haylor, anyone?

Track 4: Out Of The Woods
"I walked out, I said I'm setting you free..."

Now this is a story of reckless love. I like this song especially the bridge but I can't really sing it because I think I have small lungs. 

Track 5: All You Had To Do Was Stay
"People like me want to believe you when you say you've changed..."

This song was like a reminder of lost love and how it happened. I liked it because Taylor showed that it's not that hard, all he had to do was stay :)

Track 6: Shake It Off
"And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate..."

I loved this dance-around-the-kitchen song! It was the first single and was used to introduce 1989 last August. It's for all her bashers and how she just learned to shake things off and not let the criticisms bother her. Loved it.

Track 7: I Wish You Would
"I wish you knew that I miss you too much to be mad anymore..."

I love the beat of this track. It's fast-paced and that just fits with the message about how she wishes that the guy knows what she never said and stop thinking that she hates him. It's a story of a lost chance but, like I said, the beat of this song is perfect.

Track 8: Bad Blood
"Band-aids don't fix bullet holes, you say sorry just for show..."

This is the song that was rumored to be about Katy Perry. And from what I can tell, it is about a specific person. It has an Avril Lavigne feel to it and I loved that. 

Track 9: Wildest Dreams
"He's so tall and handsome as hell, he's so bad but he does it so well..."

This song is the sexiest song in 1989. It has the Treacherous vibe to it, one of Taylor's song from Red. It's very whimsical and it makes me feel like I want to lie down in the grass, look at the sky and heave a dreamy sigh. I love it, love it, love it.

Track 10: How You Get The Girl
"Broke your heart, I'll put it back together..."

This is a very instructional song meant for guys who just now realized their mistake of letting go of the girl and now wants her back. LOL. I love it, it's so catchy and just a feel-good song.

Track 11: This Love
"These hands had to let it go free and this love came back to me..."

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think this is a very emotional song no matter how simple it is. It's like a short journey of losing love and having it back because it's simply meant to be. Now that's dramatic, but yeah.

Track 12: I Know Places
"They take their shots but we're bulletproof..."

It's one of my faves off this album. It's Taylor Swift as raw as she can be. This is like a darker version of Shake It Off, about how everyone's watching and ruins everything. There's a voice memo of this from the DLX edition, and this song was set in piano and I loved it. 

Track 13: Clean
"I screamed so loud but no one heard a thing..."

This is a perfect song choice to end the album. It's about rebirth after all and Clean's message is about finding yourself again amidst  everything that has happened; coming out clean, without scratches from your previous life and not wanting to risk it again.


So...that's it. I'm not gonna comment on the three bonus tracks from the DLX but know that I loved them all (Wonderland, You Are In Love and New Romantics). All in all, I can say that I liked this Taylor Swift album a lot. Her lyrics just keeps on getting better and better! But what I loved most about this is the fact that she's learned to stand up to her critics through her songs. This is really a rebirth for Taylor and I love that she did this.

"I hope you know that who you are is who you choose to be, and that whispers behind your back don't define you. You are the only one who gets to decide what you will be remembered for."-Taylor Swift, 1989

Me with my copy of 1989 DLX Edition

(Buy 1989 here)

Keep living life and loving books!
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment